When I ran across this recipe I was looking for something simple and great for a high-roller event at the Symphony. Stumbled on to this and from that day forward it has become a must-have …Learn More
Rao’s Famous Lemon Chicken
March 10, 2014 / Makes 6 servings / / Print /
Rao’s Restaurant is one of the best Italian restaurants in the world. They’ve made many appearances on ABC’s Good Morning America to demonstrate lots of their famous recipes. They did this one for Lemon Chicken back in 1998. The secret is in the Lemon Sauce
Two 2 and 1/2 to 3-pound broiling chickens, halved
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
2 cups fresh lemon juice
1 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Whisk together juice, oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Whisk or shake vigorously before using.
2. To attain maximum heat, preheat broiler for at least 15 minutes before using.
3. Broil chicken halves, turning once, for about 30 minutes or until skin is golden-brown and juices run clear when bird is pierced with a fork.
4. Remove chicken from broiler, leaving broiler on. Using a very sharp knife, cut each half into about 6 pieces (leg, thigh, wing, 3 small breast pieces).
5. Place chicken on a baking sheet with sides, of a size that can fit into the broiler. Pour Lemon Sauce over the chicken and toss to coat well. If necessary, divide sauce in half and do this in two batches.
6. Return to broiler and broil for 3 minutes. Turn each piece and broil for an additional minute.
7. Remove from broiler and portion each chicken onto each of 6 warm serving plates.
8. Pour sauce into a heavy saucepan. Stir in parsley and place over high heat for 1 minute. Pour an equal amount of sauce over each chicken and serve with lots of crusty bread to absorb the sauce.
Yields: 6 servings