When I ran across this recipe I was looking for something simple and great for a high-roller event at the Symphony. Stumbled on to this and from that day forward it has become a must-have …Learn More
February 25, 2014 / Makes 6 Twinkies / / Print /
When Good Morning America first broadcast this recipe in 2002, it took off like a rocket! Janet K. Keeler from the St. Petersburg Times appeared on the show and reported seeing this (then) unheard-of confection. Here’s the original and still best recipe for Deep-Fried Twinkies.
- 6 Twinkies
- Popsicle sticks
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- Flour for dusting
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chill or freeze Twinkies for several hours or overnight.
- Heat 4 cups vegetable oil in deep fryer to about 375 degrees.
- Mix together milk, vinegar and oil.
- In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk wet ingredients into dry and continue mixing until smooth. Refrigerate while oil heats.
- Push stick into Twinkie lengthwise, leaving about 2 inches to use as a handle, dust with flour and dip into the batter. Rotate Twinkie until batter covers entire cake.
- Place carefully in hot oil. The Twinkie will float, so hold it under with a utensil to ensure even browning. It should turn golden in 3 to 4 minutes. Depending on the size of your deep fryer, you might be able to fry only one at a time, two at the most.
- Remove Twinkie to paper towel and let drain. Remove stick and allow Twinkie to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.